Tuesday, December 12, 2006

It's All About Support

Professional Developers provide follow-up and support to clients. The support falls into both the "context" and "process" standards as defined by NSDC and in the follow-up strand as defined by the Florida Protocol for Professional Development. The respondents to this survey are professional developers and they were asked to respond to the prompt

"Most follow-up support for professional development I am responsible for is provided via...". The results are depicted below.


According to this poll most support is provide through low-tech and traditional means. There were very few comments so it is impossible to know what "other" may indicate, it could be where technology comes into play. Still it had the lowest number of votes. There is nothing like the personal touch and visitations and phone conversations are definitely more personal than e-mail but I wonder which of these methods is most effective. I wonder if we are providing support via methods that are most comfortable and convenient to us rather than those that are most comfortable and convenient to our clients. I wonder which is the most effective way of providing support, it probably depends on various factors - the only way to find out is to evaluate the various methods we use - not an easy thing to do. I wonder if Podcasts could be a viable and effective way of providing follow-up and support that is comfortable and convenient to both us and to our clients.

2 Comments:

Blogger Randee Deich said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Wed Dec 13, 12:26:00 AM 2006  
Blogger Randee Deich said...

“There is nothing like the personal touch and visitations and phone conversations are definitely more personal than e-mail but I wonder which of these methods is most effective.”

When a NESS Instructional Coach confronted me with a concern that her New Educator was not taking her advice and suggestions for improvement, being comfortable was the issue. I asked her what did she do to develop a trusting relationship with her New Educator, how has she learned about the person she was supporting, and how did her New Educator learn about their Coach.

Her silence answered her own question. How do relationships contribute to the effectiveness of Podcasts as a method of follow-up and support that is comfortable and convenient to both parties?

Wed Dec 13, 12:29:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home